Telescopic Lift TruckThe JCB Teletruk is a forklift designed to fulfil a mission; reduce overheads, save time and space, and improve site safety. When the savings in time and space are converted into financials the benefits can be huge.
JCB's conceptual decision back in 1996 was to develop a replacement to the conventional FLT's vertical mast. A telescopic boom is at the heart of several new dimensions in the way forklifts can add value.
- Flat bed and curtainsider lorries no longer have to be parked with 5 m of space either side for loading / unloading. This save up to 50 % of yard loading area.
- Single-side loading is faster as this unique forklift travels less. And safety factors are improved because forklift work zones can be separated completely from pedestrian zones. It may be convenient, for example, to convert the space saved through single-side loading into a new pedestrian-only zone. There are many possibilities depending on specific site requirements.
- Because there is no vertical mast in front, the operator has an unrestricted view ahead. This is significant for site safety.
Fork-tilt on masted forklifts is commonly governed by the degree of tilt permitted by the mast. This is typically restricted to what is required for loading unitised loads into warehouse racking.
- But with no mast fork carriage rotation is increased to 111 degrees. This concept alone opens up a huge range of new possibilities in industrial FLTs.
- Most important – attachments can now be changed easily and in less than 30 seconds. This presents the potential for big financial savings on some sites as one Teletruk and several attachments can do the work of several other single-function machines. The financial values can be calculated not only in time savings but also in reduced fleet operation costs.
- To make maximum use of attachments such as shovels and grabs particularly in such as recycling sectors four-wheel-drive is available. This is unique in the industrial counterbalance forklift world and allows the Teletruk to work in ground conditions which are unsuitable for conventional 2WD masted forklifts.
The financial benefits will vary across the different industry sectors, and from site to site. Overall the JCB approach is to encourage those industry sectors which use forklifts to think not in terms of standard machine replacements but to drill down into identifying new financial modelling to validate the case for change.